Pass A Knot On Steep Terrain
Passing a knot on a fixed line can be a pain if you're not ready for it. A Gri Gri makes life easy.
- Stop about a foot above the knot.
- Clip a locker to the loop of the knot. If there is no loop, or if the loop is significantly damaged, tie a new overhand on a bight knot just below the first knot, and clip to that.
- Put a Tibloc (or friction hitch of your choice) on the fixed line above the Gri Gri, and clip a double length sling (120cm) to the Tibloc.
- Stand on this sling, this unweights the Gri Gri.
- Remove the Gri Gri.
- Sit on the locker.
- Reload the Gri Gri below all the knots.
- Stand on the sling foot loop again, and unclip the locker that is connected to the knot.
- Sit on the Gri Gri, clean the Tibloc, descend.